FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
My thoughts have been the water and exhaust leaks are possibly the cause. Think the problem is indemic to most likely the upper exhaust adapter and the power head gasket but could also include the gasket between the two adapter plates. To me its obvious I have compromised gasket or gaskets...
This started 2 years ago - since that time I have rebuilt the power head because the rattle was thought to be a rod bearing due to having had the oil injection fail. Then removed the oil injection and started using premix. The engine ran like a champ! No issues for three weeks then coming...
Thanks for your input - I completed actually did get the oiler delete kit with the piece that ensures the piece in the crank doesnt come loose - after re-reading your post just going to plug the air box valve - as to the its a Merc soooooooo lol totally agree but still love the old girl.
Thanks Dukedog - I left out one thing out on the initial post - Im running premix - got rid of the oil injection after it crapped out. So I have Pipe bolt stopper in the place that had to do with the oil injection before. Not sure where the line from the air box goes too - cannot find anything...
Putting my 1990 Mercury V6 175 carb back together after the rebuild. Decided I wanted to replace the bleed lines with tygon hoses from U.S. Plastic. Have the bleed valve connections diagram and all is good till I come to the valve out of the front of the adapter plate and the one at the top...
Nope - it's an 8 pin - worked thru the wiring tossed the console now going to pull it back out of the dumpster the gauges were decent lol - got it to turn over and the trim and tilt worked - thankfully - next going to put it on my boat and hook up the gas on muffs and see what happens. This...
thanks that's what I thought - going to put on a stand and work through - bottom line if I get it going and checks out will put it up for sale - got to figure out the wiring first - has a weird tilt and trim unit
The engine at least one side lol - I got one side of the cowl off - looks clean and maybe maintained - the tilt and trim is a single ram with the motor mounted outside the probably inside the transom - the motor is in an up position which I will have to deal with to put it on my stand to start...
Good info - pretty sure my poppet is stuck shut too - pulled the stats and am replacing them - pulled the cover off the poppet and ran into another problem - no one has probably ever changed the poppet and its the old style to piece cover - top cover comes off easy but now have to figure out how...
Thanks - appreciate the reply affirms my thoughts - but wasn't aware of the head bolt scenario will check them. Have new thermostats and parts to replace the poppet arrive today. There is a great video on replacing the poppet valve on you tube by Pro Wrenching - to be honest I didn't know...
Put the boat back in the water after being out for nearly a year. Had to put in a new trim and tilt unit. Put the engine on muffs and started it up and was okay - but didn't see it peeing - but water was coming out of the prop - ran it for less than a minute. Next day I put her in the water...
finally getting my boat and motor back in the water - however, am having a difficult time reinstalling the front cowl release mechanism - can't figure out how to set up and install the spring ie where does the flange go to set up the tension for the release - has to go somehow to the part that...