1975 Johnson 6hp (6RL75R) — idle timing off due to play in throttle shaft, need diagram of shaft/socket coupling

Crosbyman

Admiral
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
6,260
i know folks love100s but 75 should not stop your engine from running... maybe not full strenght at WOT but fine for trolling... some engines like the 9.5s work fine at 65 psi. put the beast aside for a week or two start fresh. recheck crab's slow speed circuit carb, side channel to the top clear all passages under the dime size plug make certain idle needle tip can be seen poking out when you have that round plug taken out... open LS needle per spec


patience brings joy...
 

Attachments

  • Never give up.jpg
    Never give up.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Carb bugs low speed.JPG
    Carb bugs low speed.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 18hp carb.JPG
    18hp carb.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Apr 8, 2014
Messages
8,343
I finally think I have identified the problem as being low compression. It shows around 75 for both cylinders. If I add a little oil to the cylinders, the compression increases to around 90. At this point, I'm fed up with trying to fix the motor in home conditions.
Compression is fine nothing wrong with it.
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,962
Your location?----Find the local chapter of the ---aomci----You may be able to find a gray haired member who knows this motor and how simple they are.
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,962
I am 5 days driving away.---There must be a local shop that can sort this out in minutes.
 
Top