Actually the opposite was the case for decades, more hp was squeezed out of a given displacement, just about every model yr. Some examples of many were; OMC's 70.7 inch block was originally, a 50hp, later becoming a 60, and finally a 65. Same went for their 2bbl 89.5 inch block, 75hp, then 80, finally 85. A 4bbl version of the block, 90hp, then 100, and as a limited edition 115. The 49.7 inch 3 cylinder Looper started as a 55, then 60, 65, 70, and 75.Yeah , its not like they stretch a 50hp up to 70hp , they build a 70 hp and then detune it down to 50hp . Some things are hard to change ....like port timing or sizing , primary compression .![]()
Sorry, yes, I should have known that. It's similar to my Johnson 90 having the same ci as the 115.Just because the Displacement is the same, doesn't mean a change in Jets or Timing will turn a 50hp into a 70hp. Porting, Pistons, Exhaust Tuning, Carbs, Reeds, and other differences are things that are often different to get the differences in Hp. As for the WOT Rpm range being the same, that doesn't mean all 3 engines make their Peak Hp at the same Rpm, within that range.





If that's a 15' Tri-hull that's a good match. Back in the early '70's when they were popular, lots of folks had that length with a 60 HP. Could pull a skier with a couple of folks in the boat at a good enough speed for everybody to have a good time.I've been digging into this and cleaning things up. As mentioned earlier, it has good compression - 130+/- at each cylinder. Mechanically it's looking good, and cosmetically it is nice also.
Sometimes you have to determine at what point is the teeter point between it's too old to be worth it and it's nice enough to keep it going.
I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread or another, but this 1978 Mercury is on a 1978 Britton BeachCraft. I pulled the the motor off the boat today, and as best I can tell from the bolting and wear patterns, this boat came with this motor.
.
People dump money into classic cars and never recover their time and expenses - I know for my 65 Chevy Truck I never did, but it was still fun.
.
I washed up the boat some, and cleaned up the motor some.
I think it's going to be a nice looking survivor when I'm done.
.
View attachment 420126
View attachment 420127
View attachment 420128
View attachment 420130
View attachment 420131
Cool wheels on that uteI've been digging into this and cleaning things up. As mentioned earlier, it has good compression - 130+/- at each cylinder. Mechanically it's looking good, and cosmetically it is nice also.
Sometimes you have to determine at what point is the teeter point between it's too old to be worth it and it's nice enough to keep it going.
I'm not sure if I mentioned it in this thread or another, but this 1978 Mercury is on a 1978 Britton BeachCraft. I pulled the the motor off the boat today, and as best I can tell from the bolting and wear patterns, this boat came with this motor.
.
People dump money into classic cars and never recover their time and expenses - I know for my 65 Chevy Truck I never did, but it was still fun.
.
I washed up the boat some, and cleaned up the motor some.
I think it's going to be a nice looking survivor when I'm done.
.
View attachment 420126
View attachment 420127
View attachment 420128
View attachment 420130
View attachment 420131