2013 Stingray 198lx engine options

Amyrick

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 22, 2026
Messages
11
I have used Barr here in the salt pond and they held up as well as any OEM. A set of these is about $1200 brand new. I'm now on year 7 will probably change this fall if I see anything questionable.
The Edelbrock 1409 is a good choice but keep in mind it's probably jetted for the 5.7 so some experimentation will be needed. I have one of those too in case my Quadrajet acts up again.
IIRC Fel/Pro makes marine head gaskets for the 4.3, I used them in my Pre-Vortec, not sure if they are the same for Vortec.
Good to know I use FelPro religiously for anything i need gaskets for.

If I go the 4 barrel route that'll be fun, I've never had to rejet and before. I've never messed with 4 barrels either. Is the 1409 a marine carb?
 

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,220
Barr is the casting house that makes Edelbrock, PCM, Volvo Penta and Mercruiser intake and exhaust casting
 

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
14,487
Good to know I use FelPro religiously for anything i need gaskets for.

If I go the 4 barrel route that'll be fun, I've never had to rejet and before. I've never messed with 4 barrels either. Is the 1409 a marine carb?
Yes it is.
there was a long thread on here some time back about people using the 1409 on the 4.3 and jetting changes that were needed was discussed, maybe Nola Mike knows?
I stuck with the old Quadrajet so long because it was the OEM carb for this engine and jetted for it. I know that for the pre-Vortec Edelbrock sold a calibration kit for the 1409 (not hard to install) for use on the 4.3 but some users on here found it was too lean (IIRC) for the Vortec. Can't remember the name of the other member here who spent a lot of time finding the right combination. Maybe Nola Mike or Scott recall?
A few things, that might help to keep in mind:
I think the Vortec head bolts might a one-time use thing, and they have some newfangled torque procedure vs the older Pre-Vortec that I have.
I replaced mine because of rust in the threads, but this is a salt water used engine, if you use a truck engine that had antifreeze running through it, they should be much cleaner but I'd still check to see if they can be used more than once.
The intake bolts take a much lower torque than the Pre-Vortec, IIRC like 10-15 ft lbs. The older Pre-Vortec is like 30-35 ft lbs.
 
Last edited:

Amyrick

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 22, 2026
Messages
11
Yes it is.
there was a long thread on here some time back about people using the 1409 on the 4.3 and jetting changes that were needed was discussed, maybe Nola Mike knows?
I stuck with the old Quadrajet so long because it was the OEM carb for this engine and jetted for it. I know that for the pre-Vortec Edelbrock sold a calibration kit for the 1409 (not hard to install) for use on the 4.3 but some users on here found it was too lean (IIRC) for the Vortec. Can't remember the name of the other member here who spent a lot of time finding the right combination. Maybe Nola Mike or Scott recall?
A few things, that might help to keep in mind:
I think the Vortec head bolts might a one-time use thing, and they have some newfangled torque procedure vs the older Pre-Vortec that I have.
I replaced mine because of rust in the threads, but this is a salt water used engine, if you use a truck engine that had antifreeze running through it, they should be much cleaner but I'd still check to see if they can be used more than once.
The intake bolts take a much lower torque than the Pre-Vortec, IIRC like 10-15 ft lbs. The older Pre-Vortec is like 30-35 ft lbs.
I'll do a little digging and see what i can come up with on the 1409 thread.

If I go truck engine and do the head gasket I'll swap the bolts, I'm sure they're TTY bolts.

One more thing on the truck engine, the oil pan isn't the same is it. I thought I'd read that the Mercruiser and the truck pan are different? With that being said I believe I read there are differences between 96-2007 and the 2008-2015. So i may just have to source an older oil pan.
 
Top