78 Mercury 700 - Waterpump Base Removal

Berdink

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 5, 2020
Messages
570
1978 Mercury 70hp - Serial # 4979486
I'm trying to figure out how to remove the water pump base so I can replace the seal around the shaft.
5950.jpg

5952.jpg

5949.jpg
 

Chris1956

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
29,233
Use two wide screwdrivers to pry it alternatively straight up. The friction of the oring seal is the only thing holding it in.
 

Berdink

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 5, 2020
Messages
570
Okay, I started with a couple flat head screwdrivers, when it resisted, I figured I had better ask here.
 

Berdink

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 5, 2020
Messages
570
Yes, mine had a gasket also.
Using a couple flat head screwdrivers with more force got it.
Thanks!
.
I'm leaning towards just doing all the seals, o-rings, and gaskets for the lower unit now. I'm in this far; might as well...
5968.jpg
 

Chris1956

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
29,233
I would pressure test the gearcase and only replace leaking seals.

If you look at the threads for the gear housing nut, you will see that they are full of paint, and/or worn down. Removing that nut will be really hard even with the right spanner and bearing carrier assembly puller. A lot of times you need to crack 'em with a cold chistle to get 'em out.

Reinstalling it is much worse. A dealer would rethread the gearcase. You might need to use rivets or bolts to hold it into the gearcase. That makes it hard to torque them properly.

The shift shaft seal is easier. Also, the shift shaft seal, prop shaft seal or bearing carrier seals do not often leak.

Your driveshaft bearing looks to be taper down. Push down on the driveshaft and check the play in it. If it turns smooth and has little play, replace the pump base and seal, new gaskets, wearplate and impeller and you should be good.
 

OutboardBuddy

Recruit
Joined
Oct 2, 2026
Messages
2

Berdink

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 5, 2020
Messages
570

I would pressure test the gearcase and only replace leaking seals.

If you look at the threads for the gear housing nut, you will see that they are full of paint, and/or worn down. Removing that nut will be really hard even with the right spanner and bearing carrier assembly puller. A lot of times you need to crack 'em with a cold chistle to get 'em out.

Reinstalling it is much worse. A dealer would rethread the gearcase. You might need to use rivets or bolts to hold it into the gearcase. That makes it hard to torque them properly.

The shift shaft seal is easier. Also, the shift shaft seal, prop shaft seal or bearing carrier seals do not often leak.

Your driveshaft bearing looks to be taper down. Push down on the driveshaft and check the play in it. If it turns smooth and has little play, replace the pump base and seal, new gaskets, wearplate and impeller and you should be good.
That makes sense.
I'll start with these easily accessible ones, and then do a vacuum and pressure test.
 
Top