Helping a Marine neighbor out

ezbtr

Captain
Thread starter
Joined
May 1, 2002
Messages
3,159
He's about 40, 100% retired , marsoc, great guy out since 2008, the penultimate of what the Corps strived for, did his TIME! 3 . drinks like a fish, great family, son walks my dogs, nice wife, an electrician, all good but POUNDS beers, we did get hammered the other night and I realize I am NOT him 40 anymore I am 62!!!! Trying to get him some help, got a close neighbor Army, pointed me to a good local American legion , he NEEDS to stand down on the booze, admittedly, trying to push him in the right direction - yeah we got soused at my house 4 doors up.....I know I quit a LOT on my own......would love thoughts :)
 

Mc Tool

Commander
Joined
Aug 7, 2024
Messages
2,016
Best intentions , tell ya what ezbtr , if I was that guy and had got on the pi55 with you to the point that you both got hammered .... and then you came to me ( best of intentions ) and suggested that I needed to ease up on the pi55....Id probly think you had a bloody cheek and not take t all that well .
Is he healthy , can he afford it ? .
Let him run loose for a bit and then suggest that he's better company when he's not totally ploughed . If he becomes a problem you'll have to get all honest with him or walk away . You cant save the word
Im 63 , morbidly obese ( according to my Dr ) not rich at all but , type 2 diabetic , chronic AF blood pressure issues , cholesterol issues, grossly unfit but I love a beer , I usually average 6 x 330 ml 5% beers a night .
Sounds a bit under hand but if you want to help the guy out your better of working on his Mrs........like if she doesnt have a problem let it go
 
Last edited by a moderator:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 20, 2001
Messages
17,363
What is your criteria for “pounds” beers?
A six pack a day?
A 12 pack a day?
A case a day?

Back in the day, I’d drink 4-5 beers socializing at the pub after work then take a 6 home with me. Easily drink a 12 pack of “lawn mowing beer” a day working around the farm on a weekends.

Looking back, it was mostly out of boredom and frustration with my situation at the time. Nothing dramatic… just the only male in a female centric family. Go shoe shopping at the mall or hang out at the pool by myself with a 12 pack?

Don’t know what to tell to other than an American Legion membership probably isn’t the best idea if he truly has a drinking problem.
 

flashback

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 28, 2002
Messages
4,525
What is your criteria for “pounds” beers?
A six pack a day?
A 12 pack a day?
A case a day?

Back in the day, I’d drink 4-5 beers socializing at the pub after work then take a 6 home with me. Easily drink a 12 pack of “lawn mowing beer” a day working around the farm on a weekends.

Looking back, it was mostly out of boredom and frustration with my situation at the time. Nothing dramatic… just the only male in a female centric family. Go shoe shopping at the mall or hang out at the pool by myself with a 12 pack?

Don’t know what to tell to other than an American Legion membership probably isn’t the best idea if he truly has a drinking problem.
Yeah, the guys from the legion will just introduce him to the after hours clubs like VFW.
 

kenny nunez

Captain
Joined
Jun 20, 2017
Messages
3,566
One thing about our 6640 VFW. They watch that if you drink a beer someone will remind you to also drink a bottle of water.
In the past this post had a lot of WW2 guys who would get to the point sometime one of them would fall off the bar stool.
Back then the WW2 guys did not want any Viet Nam vets around so I stayed away.
2 years ago the wife and I started going to the meetings.
Your friend has seen a lot of bad things in his time served and that could be why he drinks that much.
 

dwco5051

Commander
Joined
Sep 14, 2008
Messages
2,571
As a recovering alcoholic for 54 years now the only thing I might ask, has he reached out to you for help or doesn't he realize he has a problem. If he has PTSD or suicidal thoughts most Legion Posts can steer him to help. Other wise depending on the post he may just have found another place and other buddies to drink with. Nobody can talk someone into slowing down or quitting if they first cannot realize they have a problem, I am not demeaning the Legion as I have been a member myself for over 60 years.
 
Last edited:

aspeck

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
May 29, 2003
Messages
19,896
I have to admit that getting slobberknocked with him and then trying to tell him to lay of the juice just isn't a very good idea. It sounds a bit hypocritical, if you ask me. Maybe worry about yourself before you try to fix others.

Matthew 7:3-5 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.​

 
Top