Lower unit

Kill it n grill it

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
15
I notice that there is no gasket to install to put my lower unit back on my boat. I would think this would be at risk of a leak. Should I put a bead of sealant or gasket maker on this? Any ideas would be helpful.
 

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
10,083
Re: Lower unit

Which drive?


if it's an Alpha, you really need to get a gasket kit for it. They're cheap.
 

Kill it n grill it

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
15
Re: Lower unit

It's a pre alpha drive. I have checked everywhere and no manual that I have checked calls for a gasket.
 

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
19,555
Re: Lower unit

Between the upper and lower is a seal for the oil passage,no gasket per se.Unless you mean to mount the outdrive to the transom, there is a mounting kit for that.
 

Kill it n grill it

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
15
Re: Lower unit

You guys aren't really speaking my language. I'm learning as I go. lol. I dropped the lower unit down. I need to know if there is a gasket around the contact perimeter of the lower unit and the outdrive. There is no sign of there ever being one. I thought about putting some silicone on there as a precaution. Thoughts? I do appreciate the help.
 

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
19,555
Re: Lower unit

gasket2520backwards2520small.jpg

the small hole on the right gets a small O ring called a "quad seal"
 

cr2k

Captain
Joined
Mar 19, 2009
Messages
3,730
Re: Lower unit

No there is no gasket between the upper and lower. Don't use anything on this surface. There is the quad ring that seals the oil passage.
 

Kill it n grill it

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
15
Re: Lower unit

Ok, gotcha. That must be what that small "O" ring is for that came with my gasket set. Thank you very much. You have all been a huge help so far. This isn't my first boat by any means. It is my first boat with an I/O so I need and appreciate all of the help. I just named her today. Check out my pics and let me know what you think.:D:D:D:D
 
Top