Needle valve 55 HP 1980

mlaajanen

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
68
Hi,

I am rebuilding the carbs on a Johnson 55 1980 due to idle problems.

After disassembled the carb I noticed that there was no spring on the needle valve, usually there is a spring(I thinks its is item #29 in the link below) that brings the needle out of the seat when the float sinks due to low fuel.

Should it be a spring or not is my simple question?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1980/J55RLCSA/CARBURETOR/parts.html

cheers

Michael
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,969
What other trouble shooting has been done ?----Compression checked ?----Yes there is a CLIP on most needle valves to pull them out of the seat.----It is not a spring.
 

mlaajanen

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
68
What other trouble shooting has been done ?----Compression checked ?----Yes there is a CLIP on most needle valves to pull them out of the seat.----It is not a spring.

Hi,

No I have not done much troubleshooting. It runs perfect above idle though but when started it takes just a short while before it starts to sneeze after a cold start.
I was thinking if it could be due to needle vavle being stuck at Idle due to low fuel pressure.

Also, I also been thinking if the powerpack does not supply enough power at low RPM for the sparkplugs.

You say its a clip on most needle valves, my needle does not have any place for a clip so could I have a wrong needle valve perhaps?
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,969
Correct on the needle valve.----At idle there is more time for air to leak from crankcase / cylinder.-----That is why to the untrained it seems to " run perfect " above idle..-----Test the spark by forcing it to jump a gap of 7/16' or 10 mm while cranking.----Testing is the path to take.
 

mlaajanen

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
68
Correct on the needle valve.----At idle there is more time for air to leak from crankcase / cylinder.-----That is why to the untrained it seems to " run perfect " above idle..-----Test the spark by forcing it to jump a gap of 7/16' or 10 mm while cranking.----Testing is the path to take.

With correct on the needle valve you means sometimes a clip sometimes not?

I will reassemble everything now and will perform compression test and the other test.
 

mlaajanen

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
68
With correct on the needle valve you means sometimes a clip sometimes not?

I will reassemble everything now and will perform compression test and the other test.

Hello again,

Compression is about 140 PSI on both cylinders. I did try a different approach on the spark test, I increased the sparkplugs gap twice but no difference.

The enginen runs for some 10-20 seconds before it starts to sneeze.

I should also say that I have replaced the reeds with new ones fron Chris Carson, glasfiber ones.
 

mlaajanen

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Messages
68
What about the fuelpump, could it be a faulty membrane causing leakage?

But, the strange thing is that it runs fine when for short while when cold, if it was a EFI engine then I would better understand that but on a a old 2-stroke!

Here is a link to Youtube when I am starting the engine, https://youtu.be/VZMVB0h1_I8
 
Last edited:
Top