Never sailed

Captain of the Double G's

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 29, 2026
Messages
125

been around the water all my life but never learned how to sail.​

What would be the best way for me to learn now, is it get a small sailboat
and take my chances or do I have other options.
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,949
I have sailed ~45,000 miles on racing / cruising boats.-----Best option is to find a local sailing club and volunteer to help as crew.-----We do this all the time.-----Some folks never come back and others return for each race.-----Some end up buying their own boat.
 

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Nov 7, 2002
Messages
1,977
You can pickup the basics watching YouTube. I learned on a Sunfish as a kid; it’s not terribly difficult (and a LOT of fun) with only one sail. They made a lot of them for a long time.
Since retirement I’ve been buying them cheap, fixing ‘em up, and flipping them. More of a hobby than a moneymaker for sure.
 
Top