No spark from coil

ejput

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Messages
9
I have a 2001 Merc 5.7 EFI/TBI. Had a no start issue this summer, got it back on land and started working on it. A few days ago I replaced the coil and coil wire. I did have to reposition distributor housing shaft and finally had it running. Today I went to dynamic time the engine, grounded the ignition base timing wire (purple/white, I believe that is what it's called) and went to start engine, no start. Rotated the distributor housing in different directions, still nothing. I then put a spart tester from coil to cap and had not spark. Coil is new so there must be something else going on. Any thoughts?
 

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
19,557
Usually the ecm controls the timing? all you do is install the rotor in its a marked position and the computer does the rest
Need the full engine number to determine the correct manual number
This is free to read
 
Last edited:

ejput

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Messages
9
there was no marked position, I had to get the #1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke then line the rotor up with the number one plug and micro adjust from there to get it strated.
 
Top