Old Ranger

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
250
I have a 1986 Ranger boat and was wondering if the older boats were worth restoring. The floor was in good shape, and still seems to be, when I recarpeted it 5 years ago. The transom is in good shape. I am about to have some work done on the Black Max 150 engine and wondering how long do the old Rangers last. I have kelp it outside and covered about 90 percent of the time.
 

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
16,287
or are you wanting proof for the wife it needs to be replaced with a newer fancy one? If that is the cast, tell us here then start another new post and we'll give you the evidence you need...
 

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
250
I bought the Ranger in 2005 from the original owner. My wife was in the boat one time and said she would never get in it again, which was fine with me. She complained I was going too fast. I would like to fix this for my grandson. He is turning into a fisherman.
 

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
382
It is a 40 year old boat. Keep that in mind. A well cared for and stored 40 years old boat should still be solid and IMHO worth keeping.

People seem to have the misconception that fiberglass boats are waterproof. The polyester resins that are used to make them are porous and if a boat is left out to collect water, in time it will get into the wood of the deck as well as stringers and bulkheads. I know as my 18' center console had it happen to it. If the boat was made with epoxy, this is not the case but that is the exception rather than the norm. What region is the boat in? Cold weather environments where moisture in the gelcoat and fiberglass can freeze exacerbates the problem.

The floor sounds solid. Is the gelcoat in good shape? A good looking gelcoat says a lot.

If you were to restore it, the stringers and bulkheads are not tall like in my Deep Vee. Material wise it is simpler and cheaper.

Post some pics.
 

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
250
I am in middle Alabama. The floor seems to be solid; I replaced the carpet several years ago. The gelcoat is good, but the clearcoat is beginning to peel. I put a good waxing on 2 or 3 times a year.
 

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
16,287
if there are any floor access points, check them to ensure there is not a double layer of plywood but if it had fiberglass down on the ply when you replaced then you should be golden. Alabama folks tend to take care of their boats, especially ranger.

save your money and invest it for your future while you enjoy an old, paid for boat with a few cosmetic issues.
 

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
382
I've seen a lot of Ranger boats with large glitter metallic surfaces. Until now, I'd never contemplated how they produced such a finish. Layers of clear gelcoat and then spray the color coat before building with white?
 
Top