Part on spline behind prop 2006 Nissan 9.8A3

reginaldo

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 6, 2026
Messages
13
IMG_6415.jpeg
I would like to replace the prop shaft seal(s) on a 2006 Nissan 9.8hp A3 model.

After removing the prop I am curious what is on the shaft directly behind the prop—it looks like a large diameter SS washer and a zinc but I am unable to determine these parts on the exploded view for the gear case [0] or drive system [1]. Am I missing something or is anyone able to help identify this part?
I thought it was the thrust holder (drive system part 15-7) but believe to be mistaken now that I’ve purchased a replacement thrust holder and am viewing it.

Thanks, let me know if the question or photos are confusing too.

0: https://www.tohatsu.online/product-...stroke-nissan/nsf9-8a3/14-gear-case-nsf9-8a3/

1: https://www.tohatsu.online/product-...nsf9-8a3/15-drive-system-water-pump-nsf9-8a3/
 

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
9,360
according to the parts breakdown only things behind the prop are the #9 prop nut washer, #10 prop nut, and #11 split pin.

the thing in front of the prop would be #7 thrust holder
 

reginaldo

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 6, 2026
Messages
13
Okay the part I was looking to identify is indeed the thrust holder, I did not realize the part had been superseded which is why the new one is different (but thought it may be the case)
 

reginaldo

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 6, 2026
Messages
13
Successfully Removed the old thrust holder with a harbor freight Gear Puller Set. Penetrating Lubrication on the holder seemed critical.
Old and new thrust holder part compared.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6426.jpeg
    IMG_6426.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6420.jpeg
    IMG_6420.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2

reginaldo

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 6, 2026
Messages
13
Yes the new prop (hi thrust 4 blade) fits great. Currently working towards replacing the prop shaft seal
 
Top