Propeller advice

rbwhiz

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 9, 2026
Messages
14
Ok.... You guys helped with my last boat. Was running great but Ended up throwing a ring and needs a rebuild. Sold it. But now I'm on a 2000 Bryant 196 5.0 merc carb, alpha one, Gen 2. So OEM it had a 14.5 x 19 prop. I put a cheap aluminum Amazon one on for now with the same properties. But def can't handle wide open. At 4/5s power, I'm at 4600-4800 and 45mph. Anything past that it goes up over 5000 and sucks air. Can't keep up or get faster.

It absolutely jumps up on plane. If I hit it decently, it's within 3-4 seconds. Extremely quick. I'm not sure how much adjustment in pitch, or a little bit more diameter, etc. I don't pull much, might a little, but more just cruising.

The one unique thing about the Bryant boats, the gas tanks is up front.

So.... Anyhow. Throw in your two cents worth if you wouldn't mind. Thanks for the help
 

Stinnett21

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Messages
697
By "same properties" you mean the Amazon prop is a 14.5 x 19? Recommend a Turning Point 14.25 x 21 3 blade aluminum. They have a more modern twist on an aluminum vs some builders. Comes with a bit more rake and cup. I'm running one right now, love it.
 

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
14,677
Diameter and Pitch are only part of what makes a Prop. Blade Area, Blade Shape, Constant vs, Progressive Pitch, Cup, and Rake are also factors. Change any one of those, even the slightest and it becomes an Apples to Oranges Comparison
Now about your Replacement Prop, does it have the same Hub Diameter as the one you removed? I have seen people think just because the Prop goes on the Propshaft, it was made for that motor.
I am partial to Mercury/Quicksilver, and OMC/BRP Props. I have found over the past 50 yrs, that the 3rd party Brands are all over the map when it comes to design, build and quality.
 

rbwhiz

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 9, 2026
Messages
14
Diameter and Pitch are only part of what makes a Prop. Blade Area, Blade Shape, Constant vs, Progressive Pitch, Cup, and Rake are also factors. Change any one of those, even the slightest and it becomes an Apples to Oranges Comparison
Now about your Replacement Prop, does it have the same Hub Diameter as the one you removed? I have seen people think just because the Prop goes on the Propshaft, it was made for that motor.
I am partial to Mercury/Quicksilver, and OMC/BRP Props. I have found over the past 50 yrs, that the 3rd party Brands are all over the map when it comes to design, build and quality.
I have no idea. Lol. It had a 4 bladed prop on it that was in bad shape. Had bad water burn on it and I just didn't like it. A 3 bladed STAINLESS 14x19 was in the boat as well.... But it's definitely had work done to it, and can't tell a thing about it as far as brand, etc. But I was able to find out that these boats did come with a 3 blade SS 14x19 on them.

The gas tank in the front, I've learned, is a good and bad thing at the same time .
 
Top