Propeller advice

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,209
The OP stated that he can get 4800 with a 19P prop, and above that RPM he ventilates. Redline is 4600, right? I think he should try a 21P prop.
he stated he is spinning an unknown quality amazon prop at that RPM and that it "absolutely jumps on plane". I suspect that the Amazon prop is maybe 17-18ish on the pitch as the blades flex

The redline on the motor is 4800 RPM carbed and higher with EFI (same longblock). I know with a true 19p stainless prop on the exact same 5.0/Alpha in a 3600# wet weight 19' searay will spin 4950 RPM on the dash ( 4825 RPM on the digtal diagnostic tach ) at 51mph on the dash (49.8mph GPS) with a single person trimmed out on dead calm water. Add a second person and the RPM and speed dropped.

the OP's196 Bryant for 2000 has a dry weight of 3075 and the same size fuel tank, so the wet weight will be really really close to the 3600#

Im willing to bet if the OP gets a true 21p stainless, he wont be above 4400 RPM. a 21p aluminum, maybe.
 

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
14,686
Blade Flex, 2 words that have sold tens of thousands of SS Props. If the Blades of an Aluminium Prop Flex, it would be in the Hundreds of an Inch.
 

rbwhiz

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 9, 2026
Messages
20
I do have an old 3 blade, SS and I do think it's a 14x19. I'm assuming this is the OEM 26 years ago. I ordered the mounting hardware for it, so I might give it a go before I put it up for the winter and see what happens. (According to my tach, I'm hitting 4800 rpm with this Amazon prop pretty easy. Throttle is not down all the way.... I push it down and tach goes just above 5000 and sucks air).

One thing that's different that I mentioned, is the gas tank is up front. That aids in coming on plane quite a bit. So I think this is a factor that might make it different than like a Sea Ray boat of a similar size.
 

rbwhiz

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 9, 2026
Messages
20
Older SS prop I spoke of. You can tell it's been worked on.
 

Attachments

  • Snapchat-19091957.mp4
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
Top