Signature 240 Helm seat failure

Luray Lou

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 27, 2026
Messages
4
I have a 2006 Signature 240 I just purchased and the helm seat is supposed to fold flat. The release mechanism is jammed and it doesn’t really move. Has anyone else deal with this? I’m not sure if I need to completely remove it to work on it, or if I can do anything with it in place. Thanks- Lou
 

Luray Lou

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 27, 2026
Messages
4
Here are some pictures. I can get the forward part to almost completely fold forward, but the rear part won’t fold out.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3214.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3213.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3212.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3204.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3207.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,205
you can see where the screws were. you need to unbolt the whole seat assembly and the sliders as a unit from the pedestal base.

you have two choices for what to remove.

1790855492969.png



then, remove from the boat, flip over on the workbench. Then re-attach / re-screw everything and lubricate the sliders.

then re-install.

based on the discoloration of the vinyl, you will most likely find the wood substrate is rotten.

Those cheesy sliders have been used on millions of boats with back to back seats. they need yearly maintenance.

on my seats, I ended up with abandoning the T-nuts and have a fabricated stainless nut plate embedded in the substrate
 

Luray Lou

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 27, 2026
Messages
4
you can see where the screws were. you need to unbolt the whole seat assembly and the sliders as a unit from the pedestal base.

you have two choices for what to remove.

View attachment 420195



then, remove from the boat, flip over on the workbench. Then re-attach / re-screw everything and lubricate the sliders.

then re-install.

based on the discoloration of the vinyl, you will most likely find the wood substrate is rotten.

Those cheesy sliders have been used on millions of boats with back to back seats. they need yearly maintenance.

on my seats, I ended up with abandoning the T-nuts and have a fabricated stainless nut plate embedded in the substrate
Thank you very much. The options were what I was trying to figure out. I’m bringing it to my house next weekend so I can do whatever it needs in my shop. Getting it out without damaging it was my concern, but one of those two should work. 👍
 
Top