FLATHEAD
Rear Admiral
Thread starter- Joined
- Dec 29, 2002
- Messages
- 4,125
Go for it. I like doing split grips because you can hide the ends of thread wraps under the cork.Looks good….
I have a couple of blanks in the shop I glued up (split grip handles) and sat aside 2 years ago.
Maybe this will give me a bit of motivation to finally build the Century Sling Shot I’ve been eyeing the past two seasons

I was building 100-125 rods a year up before I had ACDF surgery in 2020. Took 6 months off to recover, let my business license lapse and never got back in the game. Have done some repairs for friends but that's about it.Go for it. I like doing split grips because you can hide the ends of thread wraps under the cork.
I cut, glue up, and turn my own cork when the mood strikes. Sky is the limit.
Awesome!Gee, I just buy Ugly Stiks. I haven't broken one of those yet.
It’s nice putting something together tailored to your particular need. It’s a fulfilling hobby. My eyes aren’t what they used to be for thread work. I don’t do much rod building these days. Normally when I build now I use quality blanks, no frills foam or cork stock grips, alconite guides and black guide wraps, no real thread work. Super plain Jane looking. The one I just did I wanted for skipping baits for bass up under brush and overhanging tree limbs close to the water. I went with a 6’9” medium heavy with extra fast tip. I was getting a fair amount of weak hooksets with a fast tip, and need some power to horse them out of the crap. I did the new guide concept layout with a tweak on the choke guide. I’ll try it out next week.I was building 100-125 rods a year up before I had ACDF surgery in 2020. Took 6 months off to recover, let my business license lapse and never got back in the game. Have done some repairs for friends but that's about it.
Got into split grips as a weight saving measure when I started building rods for what is locally know as LTJ (light tackle jigging). In effect, jigging for large migratory stripers using 6', MH largemouth bass tackle.
Wasn't happy with the aviable 6' blank selections. Started experimenting with a 7' Fast action blanks. Put the reel seat at the same location as a 6' blank and which increased the butt by a foot. Perfect length to tuck the rear grip under my forearm for added leverage. Really helps to keep the stress off your wrist fighting a fish.
I have a few Ugly Stiks (older ones) that were replacements that Ugly Stik sent me for the ones that broke. 30+ pound stripers had a habit of breaking Ugly Stiks and stripping the gears on reels.Gee, I just buy Ugly Stiks. I haven't broken one of those yet.
I took up rod building out of necessity when I started surf fishing. At the time, there where no off the shelf rods designed to throw bait & 8. By chance, a well known local rod builder and I became friends after I commissioned him to build a set of #30 trolling rods for me.It’s nice putting something together tailored to your particular need. It’s a fulfilling hobby. My eyes aren’t what they used to be for thread work. I don’t do much rod building these days. Normally when I build now I use quality blanks, no frills foam or cork stock grips, alconite guides and black guide wraps, no real thread work. Super plain Jane looking. The one I just did I wanted for skipping baits for bass up under brush and overhanging tree limbs close to the water. I went with a 6’9” medium heavy with extra fast tip. I was getting a fair amount of weak hooksets with a fast tip, and need some power to horse them out of the crap. I did the new guide concept layout with a tweak on the choke guide. I’ll try it out next week.
I would think that the drag system was not working like it should if you broke rods and stripped gears while fighting a fish.I have a few Ugly Stiks (older ones) that were replacements that Ugly Stik sent me for the ones that broke. 30+ pound stripers had a habit of breaking Ugly Stiks and stripping the gears on reels.
I learned when I moderated a fishing board. One member was a rod builder and he held a class to teach rod building. A few guys picked it up and continued to build. My first rod was a 7’ popping rod. Still have it. Put together lots of rods for myself and others over the years. I sold my power wrapper a few years back ( big mistake) but a young guy starting out was looking for one and I was not doing much rod work so I sold it to him. I’ve got enough time on my hands now that hand wrapping isn’t an issue and I only do my own stuff now. Gawd I have too many rodsI took up rod building out of necessity when I started surf fishing. At the time, there where no off the shelf rods designed to throw bait & 8. By chance, a well known local rod builder and I became friends after I commissioned him to build a set of #30 trolling rods for me.
The first rod I built was a 1418 (11'-9") AllStar with SiC guides and cork tape wrapped butt. Learned the hard way how tough it is to work with metallic thread. Bought and built a second one after learning the blank had been discontinued. My favorite surf rod to fish. To this day, they are the first rods out and the last rods back in the rack.
I build all my personal spinning rods "New Concept". Don't think anything else comes close performace wise, but people sometimes take issue with building a rod for a specific reel. The reel is the cheap part...lol
I dont understand ? one of us is confused , Im reasonably sure thats not possible , I mean I know its something wives have an unfounded opinion about. Gawd I have too many rods![]()