Where to look for water leak

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 10, 2014
Messages
235
I am getting a large volume of water in my bilge.
I have a '95 Mercruiser MCM 5.7L SN 0F59836545 in a 22' SeaRay. Early in the season the exhaust bellows tore, and that was the first time I got this large amount of water in the bilge (I know that's not where the water is coming from). I hadn't changed the bellows since I owned the boat in 2019, so I figured it was time to change them all. When I say a large amount of water, there was so much that got in there from my early season test run, water made contact with the starter and blew the starter.
The heavy flow is still happening. After I changed all the bellows, I took it to the boat launch and let it sit in the water for a good 5 minutes. The bilge was bone dry. After I started the engine, inches of water showed up very rapidly. There isn't any water when I run the engine on muffs. I ran it for at least 10 minutes on the muffs, and not a drop of water. Where should I start looking for leaks? My initial thought was the y-pipe, but I would think there would be some water coming through when running off the muffs.
 

nola mike

Admiral
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
6,077
Exhaust bellows won't cause a leak. Should be obvious based on that volume, but make sure all of your drain plugs are in, check core plugs in addition to hoses to the ps cooler and exhaust boots. Assuming you'd see a leak in the front. Just to make double sure, see if it leaks on muffs
 

airshot

Admiral
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Messages
6,746
With that much water coming in, it will be very noticible, so gotta get in there and find it some how....Phone is your friend here...
 

Chris1956

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
29,205
A lot of those V8 MerCruisers have a belt driven raw water pump. If may not leak when the engine is off, but leak when the engine is running.
 

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
14,442
Also check the core plugs in the engine block, the clamps on the exhaust rubber hoses, Y pipe to inner transom joint
This is one big issue with I/Os
many places to leak water and most are inaccessible with the engine in place.
 

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,192
The OP ran the motor in muffs for 10 minutes and no leak. So it's not core plugs or leaking hoses. Since the exhaust bellows is bad, my guess is the shift bellows or U-joint bellows also is bad or the transom is bad, which would only leak in the water
 

nola mike

Admiral
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
6,077
The OP ran the motor in muffs for 10 minutes and no leak. So it's not core plugs or leaking hoses. Since the exhaust bellows is bad, my guess is the shift bellows or U-joint bellows also is bad or the transom is bad, which would only leak in the water
Actually he said it didn't leak in the water. Then said it didn't leak in muffs...
Definitely needs to figure that out first
 
Top