Winterizing procedure

tmosgood

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 12, 2011
Messages
32
Hello,
First time Yamaha and four-stroke owner. I have a 2012 F25SEA on the back of a 13’ Whaler.

I’ve worked on two strokes my entire life so I am a bit paranoid that I may have missed a step in winterizing the engine. The steps I followed were:
- Ran the engine for 15 minutes using a portable 6 gallon tank treated with Starton.
- After shut down I replaced the oil filter, drain and changed the gear oil. I changed the oil only a couple weeks back and didn’t run it much so I feel like the oil is good.
- I then pulled the plugs, sprayed Yamaha fogging spray into both cylinders, removed the safety lanyard, and turned the engine over. I did this twice.
- Replaced the plugs. I will lubricate grease fittings eventually.

Am I missing something? I feel like it was almost too easy. Thanks all.
 

Chris1956

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
29,237
You replaced the oil filter, but not the engine oil? That is unusual.

Remove the prop
clean and grease the steering rod
Spray the powerhead with some corrosion resistant stuff
Don't forget the grease fittings, especially the swivel bracket one, or you will hate yourself.
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,966
Install a new water pump impeller.----More important than some of the steps taken.
 
Top