1978 Islander 22 I/O

IslandExplorer

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Oct 21, 2019
Messages
608
Wow, love the diamond plate and SS floor drains you added! They probably should have done that from the factory. That looks so clean. Might need a couple of those. Could rinse it right out if needed. Great work and thinking on that.

That under bench area is one of the louder in-cabin areas when anchored due to wave slap. Was on my Starchief at least anyways. I bet the choice to put foam in there will really help quiet it down when in there taking a nap on the hook.
 

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 21, 2017
Messages
619
Wow, love the diamond plate and SS floor drains you added! They probably should have done that from the factory. That looks so clean. Might need a couple of those. Could rinse it right out if needed. Great work and thinking on that.
Exactly! I'm thinking about long-term care, ease of cleaning and replacing. The idea with the garage flooring is for it to be a disposable option. I'm not gluing it in. When it is junk, take up the deck fittings cut a new piece and put it down. There's nothing to rot under the flooring. It's aluminum framing and coosa.

The garage flooring is expanding and contracting. When it gets really hot I have a wrinkle... Nothing too bad. When I put the rest in, I'm going to put it in while it's hot and see how that helps that out.
That under bench area is one of the louder in-cabin areas when anchored due to wave slap. Was on my Starchief at least anyways. I bet the choice to put foam in there will really help quiet it down when in there taking a nap on the hook.
I just figured that I have a whole cabin to use for storage. So, I took what storage I wanted out of the benches and used the opportunity to get an adequate amount of floatation foam in. Besides, in my experience, the under-bench storage isn't really that great. You end up putting stuff on the benches and have to move a bunch of stuff to get into it, and it ends up getting really dirty and grimy under there.

As I was doing it, I was thinking that it should help with sound. Aluminum boats can be loud.
 

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 21, 2017
Messages
619
Port-a-potty flush handle access
 

Attachments

  • 20260917_120052453_iOS.jpg
    20260917_120052453_iOS.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20260917_120540052_iOS.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 20260917_120603757_iOS.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 21, 2017
Messages
619
Floatation foam

When I did the demo on the boat I kept a huge hunk, about 2 cubic feet of styrofoam. I cut that up and incorporated it into my pour in expanding foam. I think it's cool when some of the original parts and materials can be put back to good use.

The last few pictures are of my bilge. I was looking to see if any foam "crept" in. Remember, I put down sheet vinyl across the ribs, so none of my expansion foam touches the hull. My thought is for water that makes it in through rivets that will inevitably leak, to give it a clear path to the bilge pump, instead of getting trapped and eventually rotting/waterlogging the foam.

I used HVAC tape to install the sheet vinyl. What an awesome friend it's been on this build! I advise anybody working on one of these boats to get a roll of that tape. It will come in handy here and there. If you're going to try the sheet vinyl in the bilge, it's the only way to go for installing that.
 

Attachments

  • 20260914_165108801_iOS.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 20260914_165951601_iOS.jpg
    20260914_165951601_iOS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20260914_165954378_iOS.jpg
    20260914_165954378_iOS.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20260914_170028352_iOS.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260914_173129783_iOS.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260914_181521496_iOS.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 20260914_173832482_iOS.jpg
    20260914_173832482_iOS.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20260914_173841545_iOS.jpg
    20260914_173841545_iOS.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20260914_173851901_iOS.jpg
    20260914_173851901_iOS.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 20260914_174009817_iOS.jpg
    20260914_174009817_iOS.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 21, 2017
Messages
619
More floatation foam work, I formed my rubber storage pails in the foam like I did my port-a-potty. The expanding floatation foam is very solid stuff. It can handle structural applications like this. You can see my sheet vinyl as before. I am not letting the foam form directly to the hull of the boat.

The port-a-potty is fitting really snug in since I added the foam for the rubber pail storage on the sides of it. I have the mounting kit installed, but it's not going anywhere.
 

Attachments

  • 20260916_121930965_iOS.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260916_192520028_iOS.jpg
    20260916_192520028_iOS.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20260916_192547556_iOS.jpg
    20260916_192547556_iOS.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260916_193536991_iOS.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260916_193725196_iOS.jpg
    20260916_193725196_iOS.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260917_191500709_iOS.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260917_191530152_iOS.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260917_194319411_iOS.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260917_203419375_iOS.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260917_204159068_iOS.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260917_214100743_iOS.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260917_215322697_iOS.jpg
    20260917_215322697_iOS.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
  • 20260917_215340702_iOS.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260917_220545091_iOS.jpg
    20260917_220545091_iOS.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 21, 2017
Messages
619
Check out what I found for $80 and some driving. It needs new fittings and I'm going to look into having the railing anodized.
 

Attachments

  • 20260927_201738564_iOS.jpg
    20260927_201738564_iOS.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 21, 2017
Messages
619
I added edge trim to finish my interior bench piece. I couldn't find trim the exact size I needed... This is 1/2" and my piece is 1/2" coosa with two layers of vinyl flooring. Nonetheless, it seems to be holding just fine and serves its purpose.
 

Attachments

  • 20260921_184330823_iOS.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20260921_191355391_iOS.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20260921_221319280_iOS.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 4

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 21, 2017
Messages
619
I've been working on my seat platform for the past two weeks, as weather permitted. It's 1-1/2" Douglas Fir, Marine Ply that I bought as a sheet with that thickness from a shop. It'll provide a competent surface to mount my seats to. I have grade 8 hardware and I plan to through bolt my pedestals to it.

I did two coats of the Old Timer's Formula, and this is the only part of my decking that I'm planning on doing in the vinyl. The rest is going to be garage flooring.

It was interesting cutting through the 1-1/2" ply for the fuel tank access, which I think is necessary by law. Either way, it's a good idea to have. I used my attachment to make sure that I was drilling straight, drilled a small pilot hole all the way through and then used the pilot hole as a guide to line up the hole saw and cut from each side. I was delightfully shocked to see that it lined up perfect, creating a seamless hole.

With that dry fit, I think I'm ready to build my cabin bulkhead. Any suggestions for a door size on the cabin? I have 23" between my cabin benches so I'm thinking 21" over all is the most I'm going on the width for my door. what about height???
 

Attachments

  • 20260918_133154997_iOS.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260918_133201843_iOS.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260921_191344856_iOS.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260923_190450170_iOS.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260929_133540328_iOS.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260929_190118462_iOS.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20260929_223510732_iOS.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20261002_150407460_iOS.jpg
    20261002_150407460_iOS.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20261002_170215570_iOS.jpg
    20261002_170215570_iOS.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20261002_170303411_iOS.jpg
    20261002_170303411_iOS.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Top