1984 3.0 cobra

Jakem

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 25, 2021
Messages
1,109
Good day....working on friends boat wich had a cracked head...new head installed and tdc set however the rotor is aiming back towards number 4...am I missing something
 

alldodge

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
44,630
firing order is 1-3-4-2
It's pointing at 4 means it's 180* out, so move the plug wires in the cap 2 holes or pull dizzy and turn rotor so it points at 1
 

Jakem

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 25, 2021
Messages
1,109
Morning...has anyone got the part number for lifters for this engine
 

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 10, 2002
Messages
14,491
I looked the OMC catalog on marineengine.com and oddly they list everything in the valve train except the hydraulic lifters, but Merc used the same engine so I looked it up in the Merc section and here's what they show:


Not sure if these are just standard Chevrolet small block flat tappet lifters, or unique to the 4 cyl models. Anyone know?
 

Jakem

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 25, 2021
Messages
1,109
No there not cupped my concern is if I put it all back together and theres a sticky one I'd have to pull it back apart
 

alldodge

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
44,630
No there not cupped my concern is if I put it all back together and theres a sticky one I'd have to pull it back apart
The great part about the 3.0 is it has a inspection cover, so if there is a bad lifter it can be replaced without tearing the motor down
 

Jakem

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 25, 2021
Messages
1,109
What is the best way to set the valve train. What is the sequence of the valves to ajusy
 

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,236
The cobra came out late 1985 for the 1985 model year

If it's a 1984, it's a stringer 400

Lifters same as the 151 4-banger and the 196, 230, 250, and 292 6-bangers
 

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,236
Rocker adjustment is same for all 1990 and below as well as 1991 and above
 

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,236
1/2-3/4 turn past zero lash. Start with cylinder 1 at TDC, set lash on 1 and 4

Then rotate motor 180 degrees, do cylinder 3 and 2

Zero lash is the point where the push rod doesn't move up and down, not where you can't spin it
 
Top