Old johnson V4

metalchewy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 4, 2025
Messages
113
Was helping clean out my dad's shop last weekend and in the corner was an old V4, 75HP, 62 johnson model V4A 14L.

It sat for 10 years in his shop, an older guy in town had given it to him before he passed he probably had it as long as well.

Not sure what I'll do with it. It's too heavy for our boat. Thinking of making it run (if it will) and selling it. Not really sure if it's something anyone would want.

Dry Compression.
Right 87 and 80
Left 85 and 80.

Wet compression is 91 on all 4.

If I do take this on, first place to start is the fuel pump. Diaphragm, bowl(missing), filter, bowl attaching hardware and see if I can make it run and it doesn't knock.

Thoughts?
Screenshot_20261011_075904_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20261011_075926_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20261011_080030_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20261011_080054_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20261011_080132_Gallery.jpg
 
Last edited:

airshot

Admiral
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Messages
6,756
Uncle had one when I was a kid (76 now) and boy was it a gas hog. My guess would be no one wants a motor that old and a fuel hog unless they are looking for something historical to match a boat or something. Might be a fun project if you into that type if thing. Value in my opinion is next to nothing...small old motors are far more valuable.
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,974
Your location?=====Do you have the electrical junction box that mounts inside the boat?-------Do a lot of testing / inspection BEFORE you spend a $ on it.
 

metalchewy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 4, 2025
Messages
113
Your location?=====Do you have the electrical junction box that mounts inside the boat?-------Do a lot of testing / inspection BEFORE you spend a $ on it.
Location is Las Vegas area.

It came from northern Utah. The old boat it came out of sat for years in a field behind the barn of the original owner (also passed away). I didn't see it the boat there when I was up there. So I don't have wiring, junction box, controls or linkage.
 

Chris1956

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
29,248
The early V4 engines had those downdraft carbs. I had two 50HP V4s (Fat-Fiftys) from '58 and '59 and I never thought the carbs were real good. They allowed un-atomized, liquid fuel to enter the intake manifold and crankcase.

In order for the motors to idle smoothly, any liquid fuel that built up in the intake manifold or crankcase was blown out into the water.

So, the carbs didn't atomize all the fuel, and the motor used crankcase pulses to keep the crankcase and manifold free of liquid fuel. The crankcase pulses were composed of fuel -air combustion mixture. It is therefore no wonder that the motor used/wasted a lot of fuel.

OMC did an endurance test of the '58 50HPV4. They put 2 of them on a 23 footer and ran it across the ocean to Europe. The support ship pulled a fuel barge and the two Fat-Fiftys burned 1500 gal of fuel, during the voyage. They clearly proved that the motor was very reliable.
 

metalchewy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 4, 2025
Messages
113
That's a whole lotta fuel. I was told this thing didn't get good mileage when it was pulled.
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,974
You will need that junction box and a control box for electric shift.-----Smooth running motors,----They are thirsty.----Depends on how many hrs you put on in a season/----Not much point in spending $10,000 for a new motor to save $200 / per season on fuel.
 
Top