redneck joe
Supreme Mariner
Thread starter- Joined
- Mar 18, 2009
- Messages
- 16,372
Mine have the spring clips.
I guess spring clips are better than not. That said. Open S hooks have worked for many years. Chain dragging can cause an open hook to jump loose.Mine have the spring clips.
Agree 100%. I'm going to go to a cat scale when done and get all the weights. I travel about 10 mikes round trip and the worst incline in roads is the ramp. I'd do bigger truck if I find any more than I do...When pushing tow capacities to their max, strange things can and do happen. I have always taken 20-25% off those limits and have never had a problem. Been towing for over 60 years and always keep things on the safer side. Had to push a few limits when towing for the company I worked for. Those limits made for some scary tows even though the ratings were within range. Ratings do not include poor road or weather conditions, and we often estimate our load weights and then driver skills come into play. Far less chance of issues, easier on your tow vehicle if you drop 25% from your max tow rating, it will make the tow easier and safer.
That's ok for light duty- which is my problem. I have 1/4" chain with similar hooks. I'm going to get 3/8 chain with the hook style I pictured above...now I'm looking at the mounting. If you look at the picture mike posted, the chains are attached at the vase of that kick stand- mine is a single chain bolted in the middle of that kick stand which is now concerning me...and in Florida, there is no vehicle inspection of anything...Id never get away with those hooks here , to pass annual safety inspection they would need to be rated shackles ( the chain doesnt need to be rated ....go figure ) ....although , one time I went for the inspection the tester pointed out that my shackle wasnt rated but said that it was obviously up to the job ( 8mm ) and let it go .
YepId never get away with those hooks here , to pass annual safety inspection they would need to be rated shackles ( the chain doesnt need to be rated ....go figure ) ....although , one time I went for the inspection the tester pointed out that my shackle wasnt rated but said that it was obviously up to the job ( 8mm ) and let it go .
Got tied of playing with chains. Went to self-retracting cables sometime ago.That's ok for light duty- which is my problem. I have 1/4" chain with similar hooks. I'm going to get 3/8 chain with the hook style I pictured above...now I'm looking at the mounting.
I had a smaller boat that had a similar set up...much nicer.Got tied of playing with chains. Went to self-retracting cables sometime ago.
Demco 42" Blue 14,000 lbs. Trailer Safety Cable - 17647 | Southwest Wheel®
Get the best Demco 42" Blue 14,000 lbs. Trailer Safety Cable - 17647! Buy the top-rated Demco 17647 from Southwest Wheel®. 100+ Years of Service in the Trailer Part Industry.www.southwestwheel.com
Cables thru-bolted through the the tongue with 5/8" grade 8 hardware