safety chain question

rickasbury

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
878
When pushing tow capacities to their max, strange things can and do happen. I have always taken 20-25% off those limits and have never had a problem. Been towing for over 60 years and always keep things on the safer side. Had to push a few limits when towing for the company I worked for. Those limits made for some scary tows even though the ratings were within range. Ratings do not include poor road or weather conditions, and we often estimate our load weights and then driver skills come into play. Far less chance of issues, easier on your tow vehicle if you drop 25% from your max tow rating, it will make the tow easier and safer.
Agree 100%. I'm going to go to a cat scale when done and get all the weights. I travel about 10 mikes round trip and the worst incline in roads is the ramp. I'd do bigger truck if I find any more than I do...
 

rickasbury

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
878
Id never get away with those hooks here , to pass annual safety inspection they would need to be rated shackles ( the chain doesnt need to be rated ....go figure ) ....although , one time I went for the inspection the tester pointed out that my shackle wasnt rated but said that it was obviously up to the job ( 8mm ) and let it go .
That's ok for light duty- which is my problem. I have 1/4" chain with similar hooks. I'm going to get 3/8 chain with the hook style I pictured above...now I'm looking at the mounting. If you look at the picture mike posted, the chains are attached at the vase of that kick stand- mine is a single chain bolted in the middle of that kick stand which is now concerning me...and in Florida, there is no vehicle inspection of anything...
 

rickasbury

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
878
Id never get away with those hooks here , to pass annual safety inspection they would need to be rated shackles ( the chain doesnt need to be rated ....go figure ) ....although , one time I went for the inspection the tester pointed out that my shackle wasnt rated but said that it was obviously up to the job ( 8mm ) and let it go .
Yep
 

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 20, 2001
Messages
17,363
That's ok for light duty- which is my problem. I have 1/4" chain with similar hooks. I'm going to get 3/8 chain with the hook style I pictured above...now I'm looking at the mounting.
Got tied of playing with chains. Went to self-retracting cables sometime ago.

Cables thru-bolted through the the tongue with 5/8" grade 8 hardware
 

rickasbury

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
878
Got tied of playing with chains. Went to self-retracting cables sometime ago.

Cables thru-bolted through the the tongue with 5/8" grade 8 hardware
I had a smaller boat that had a similar set up...much nicer.
 

Jeff J

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jun 23, 2021
Messages
670
Dragging chains causes them to wear. A “buddy” borrowed my dovetail and allowed the chains to drag the entire trip. I had to cut out 3 links and splice with a cheater link. It isn’t difficult to remove slack when hooking up a trailer. Just twist the chain a little. Same guy lost the lynch pins keeping the ramps in their mounts. That was the last time I loaned him anything.
 

rickasbury

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
878
Dragging chains causes them to wear. A “buddy” borrowed my dovetail and allowed the chains to drag the entire trip. I had to cut out 3 links and splice with a cheater link. It isn’t difficult to remove slack when hooking up a trailer. Just twist the chain a little. Same guy lost the lynch pins keeping the ramps in their mounts. That was the last time I loaned him anything.
That's funny, well not at the time. This trailer is really old . I've never dragged the chains. I've never looked at them to be honest. Getting it squared up. To much rain this weekend as planned...
 
Top