frustratedboater
Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter- Joined
- Jul 10, 2007
- Messages
- 505
Yeah but if one uses decent oil and changes it on time .....just how often do you have to do this ? . I noticed some time ago ( talking motorbikes ) that the clearance spec's got quite a bit wider no motors using these bucket shims .
Thanks Lou.. Yes the tool is necessary and did not have that in my box. Should be coming in today. The other tip was to be sure that the cam lobe needs to be up before performing the bucket pressing, obviously to get the valves out of the way.. Thanks for the comments and reply!It's interesting that there are 2 styles of these, the one on the left side is what has been used on Yamahas and Toyota engines for a long time, in fact I think that Yamaha pioneered this style of bucket tappet + shim valve actuation and designed cylinder heads for Toyota (and others no doubt).
I had a 1989 Toyota Corolla GTS with the 4AGE twin cam engine and it had that style of valve lifter. To check them you just use a standard feeler gauge but if any are out of spec, there is a special tool that you use to compress the lifter and then use a magnet to pull out the shim. You then measure the shim with a micrometer and have to figure out what thickness shim you need to buy to get the adjustment correct. All this was detailed in the Toyota factory shop manual. Mine were in adjustment thankfully but my take on this is that mechanics rarely if ever adjust these unless there is an audible tapping noise coming from the valve train. It's just too time consuming. The real issue is if the clearance is too tight, which can lead to burned valves. I have heard that Toyota techs never adjust them, but don't know if that's true.
So yes you can check em, but if any are out of spec, you have a time consuming job on your hands
The other style on the right looks like you'd have to remove the cams to change that style shim.
This makes you appreciate nice quiet hydraulic lifters!
Totally agree..Yeah , just measure the clearance 1st , doesnt matter what type they are untill you need to remove them and you would have to do that to measure the shim before ordering new .
as for the 4age , we did 300,000 kms in our MR2 ( aw11 ) and the valve clearances never went out of spec .
I am asking because upon reassemble I may have switched the buckets and my engine is getting a 'valve' clicking at idle. It goes away as I increase the throttle.. I noticed a much lower idle rpm as well since rebuild."I am looking to check/adjust my valve clearances on my 2007 Suzuki df250z and looking for conformation on what type of shim style I may have on my application. Attached is an image on both styles, if someone can kindly confirm which one. ThanksView attachment 420202"
That appears to be a Yamaha service manual diagram. Why are you asking your question about a Suzuki DF250 model?
From what I am seeing in a Suzuki parts catalog the latest Suzuki DF250 model still uses the shim in a bucket configuration.
![]()
I believe he was asking why you were looking at a Yamaha service manual when working on a Suzuki, if that is a Yamaha service manual diagramI am asking because upon reassemble I may have switched the buckets and my engine is getting a 'valve' clicking at idle. It goes away as I increase the throttle.. I noticed a much lower idle rpm as well since rebuild.
Perhaps I had the wrong one up? I thought it was Zuk..I believe he was asking why you were looking at a Yamaha service manual when working on a Suzuki, if that is a Yamaha service manual diagram